One Wisconsin Now Press Release
|May 2, 2012
Contact: Mike Browne
Phone: (608) 444-3483
Billionaires Back Gov. Walker's One Percent Agenda
9 of the Richest People in U.S. Donate $1.375 Million to Walker According to Recent Campaign Filing
Madison -- Nine members of the exclusive Forbes U.S. Billionaires List gave nearly $1.4 million to Gov. Walker over the last four months, according to One Wisconsin Now's analysis of his most recent campaign finance filing.
One Wisconsin Now spokesperson Mike Browne commented, "Gov. Walker has spent the last year giving away the proverbial store to the wealthy and corporations. It hasn't worked out so well for us, with Wisconsin ranking dead last in the nation in job creation, but these billionaires sure seem to appreciate it."
Gov. Walker's most recent billionaire backers are:
- Sheldon Adelson gave Gov. Walker a $250,000 contribution. The Sands Casino CEO is ranked 7th on Forbes US Billionaires list and was also the major backer of failed presidential candidate Newt Gingrich's SuperPAC.
- James Goodnight, founder of the software company SAS Institute, ranks 43rd on the Forbes US Billionaires and donated $25,000 to Gov. Walker.
- Richard DeVos, number 64 on the Forbes US Billionaires list, donated $250,000 to Governor Walker.
- Beloit billionaire Diane Hendricks ranks 138th on the Forbes US Billionaires and dropped a cool $500,000 in one check to Gov. Walker.
- Warren Stephens, chairman of the financial services company Stephens Inc., donated $100,000 from his perch as 148th on the Forbes US Billionaires list.
- Stanley Druckenmiller, number 164 on the Forbes US Billionaires, gave $25,000.
- Home Depot founder Bernard Marcus is ranked number 188 on the Forbes US Billionaires and donated $25,000.
- Louis Bacon donated $100,000 to Gov. Walker. He runs Moore Capital Management and ranks 330th on the Forbes US Billionaires.
- Patrick Ryan, 390 on the Forbes US Billionaires and CEO of insurance firm Ryan Specialty Group, gave $100,000.
Browne concluded, "Once again, Gov. Walker is saying 'thanks a million' as wealthy billionaires donate a bit of their fortunes to support a Governor whose policies put their interests before our."
# # #
One Wisconsin Now is a statewide communications network specializing in effective earned media and online organizing to advance progressive leadership and values.